297 views
Verified Reviewer

1.1

This past spring I received a promotional mailing advertising a 2.5% interest rate for a year provided that I deposit $20,000 of new money and which also advertised a $200 bonus payment. I hand carried a check for $25,000 to the bank and sat down with the branch manager to set up a new savings account and specifically asked whether I had met all the criteria to qualify for the promotional rate.

I was told that everything was in order and that it would take a couple of months for the bonus payment to show up in my account.

Everything looked good until the beginning of the next month when the interest rate dropped back down to a lower rate. I contacted TD Bank online and was informed that there was an additional activity requirement. The online chat contact said that they could handle that by setting up a $1 weekly transfer from my checking into my savings account and did so. The rate increased to their standard savings rate of around 1%, but not the advertised 2.5%.

I next paid a visit to the local branch where the local branch manager was helpful and credited me with a month's worth of interest but that was the extent of what she was able to do.

Over the next couple months, I placed several calls to the TD Bank online chat, sent emails and also visited the branch office a couple more times (and spoke to a couple different people) to attempt to get TD Bank to honor their promotional advertisement. I mostly ended up communicating with different people each time I reached out but was not ever able to get them to honor what they advertised. Eventually I was even told that my weekly transfer did not meet their activity requirement and there would be no bonus payment and no promotional interest rate granted.

I came to the conclusion that I was not going to get TD Bank to honor their promotion and subsequently canceled my accounts, threw out all their paperwork and sent an online review which did nothing other than bounce was review back to the local branch manager who contacted me who said that she agreed with me but that it was out of her hands. Enough of this nonsense already.

The bank's shortsightedness and lack of governance has cost them a potential customer, an aggravated one at that all for the paltry sum of a couple of hundred bucks that they should have honored.

While some contacts seemed like they were trying to help, I was barraged by misinformation and conflicting feedback from the TD Bank representatives themselves.

This shouldn't happen with a large bank. Their recent advertisement for being surprisingly human doesn't quite ring true with me.

Product or Service Mentioned: Td Bank Earn Up To 300 Dollars Deal.

Preferred solution: I not looking for anything at this point. Perhaps someone from the bank will learn from this and make some internal training improvements like making their customer documentation clearer..

TD Bank Cons: Poor internal communication, No direct connection to management to resolve issues, Misleading and unclear promotional documentation.

Comments

Send you issue via email to the CEO. Normally you have to go up the chain of command.

Start at the Top.

Let the CEO deal with it. Make the problem roll downhill.

TD Bank Reviews